This year’s theme for National Food Safety Month is Controlling Risk: The Elements of a Food Safety Management System (FSMS). Having an FSMS in place can provide a framework for everyone on your team to know and implement practices that keep everyone safe. Take this quiz to see how you’re doing. (Scroll to the bottom of this page to see the answers.)
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Report on the Occurrence of Foodborne Illness Risk Factors in Fast Food and Full-Service Restaurants, 2013-2014 (aka FDA Risk Factor Study) discovered that an inadequate FSMS was the strongest predictor of non-compliance with food safety regulations. What other factor predicted a high incidence of non-compliance?
- Having been in operation five years or fewer
- Not having a Certified Food Protection Manager as the person in charge
- Not requiring ServSafe Food Handler training
- Having too many items on the menu
- Active Managerial Control is related to what other management practice?
- Food safety management system
- Laissez-faire management
- Autocratic management
- Transformational management
- The FDA Risk Factor Study found that restaurants with a Certified Food Protection Manager had a lower incidence of foodborne illness outbreaks than those without a CFPM. How many people have achieved their CFPM certification through ServSafe?
- More than 5 million
- More than 2 million
- More than 8 million
- More than 10 million
- Effective standard operating procedures, which are part of an FSMS, include four main elements. Which of the following is NOT an element of a well-written SOP?
- Instructions for the job activity
- Defined process for monitoring the task
- Alternative ways to do the task
- Who should perform the task
- What data to document and how to record the data
- A food safety management system enables a restaurant business to:
- Create consistency in how employees perform food safety tasks
- Aggregate data to better manage systems and processes
- Enhance collaboration among everyone working in an operation
- All of the above
- Which of the following is not a participant in a food safety management system?
- The person in charge
- The customer
- Back-of-house employees
- The general manager
Website brings focus to food safety
Did you know that FoodSafetyFocus.com features an abundance of resources to keep food safety front and center at your operation?
Those include tools, posters and infographics for your break room, training activities, videos, guidance documents and white papers. The blog offers content on food safety topics from hand-washing to working with regulators and creating a culture of food safety.
Our National Food Safety Month page includes everything you need to inspire and motivate employees to make food safety a priority in September and all year long.
Answers: 1) ii; 2) i; 3) iii; 4) iii; 5) iv; 6) ii