Edit
Operations

More than 500 people now say they got sick at Chipotle

The number increased dramatically after initial reports of a possible outbreak over the weekend.
Photograph courtesy of Chipotle Mexican Grill

More than 500 people have now reported to local health authorities that they were sickened after eating at an Ohio Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant, intensifying an apparent outbreak that led to the location’s temporary closure.

The restaurant in Powell, Ohio, reopened Tuesday after health inspectors said they saw no reason to keep the location closed following two straight days of inspections, and the company sanitized the restaurant and removed exposed food.

On Tuesday, officials with the Delaware General Health District in Ohio said 368 people reported possible foodborne illness after eating at the restaurant.

On Wednesday, the district said another 45 had reported getting ill. The additional reports came after the district initially said that seven people were sickened after apparently eating at the restaurant. Wednesday afternoon, the district said 518 reported getting sick, 95 reporting via email, and 423 by phone call.

Chipotle voluntarily closed the location Monday after getting reports of people sickened after eating at the restaurant Sunday and Monday. As publicity spread about the issue, more people reported both to health officials and the website iwaspoisoned.com, where the outbreak was first revealed.

The Delaware General Health District said the investigation is pending the outcome of test results. It also said staff members have delivered stool sample kits and are contacting people who said they might have gotten ill after eating at the restaurant.

The district said it would inspect the restaurant again later this week.

The apparent outbreak hasn’t kept customers away from the brand: The company said Wednesday that it had its best summer sales day in history Tuesday, thanks to a free guacamole giveaway.

Trending

More from our partners