Four Seasons to close after 57 years

four seasons restaurant

NYC’s famed Four Seasons restaurant will close in July and reopen elsewhere in the city a year later because of irreconcilable differences between the restaurant’s landlord and owners.

The restaurant, long the haunt of New York’s power brokers, is located in the landmark Seagram Building on Park Avenue. The owner of the building, Aby Rosen, has said for some time that he wants a more contemporary dining option in the bottom floor where Four Seasons is located. He has refused to renew the restaurant’s lease.

The Four Seasons has occupied the space for 57 years.

Co-owner Alex von Bidder told the New York media that he plans to auction off furniture from the space and will schedule a week of activities leading into the July 16 closing.

His partner in the restaurant is Julian Niccolini, who recently pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault charges related to allegations of sexual harassment of a guest at a Four Seasons event.

Members help make our journalism possible. Become a Restaurant Business member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.

Multimedia

Exclusive Content

Marketing

Drops become restaurant chains' new loyalty program incentive

Marketing Bites: Taco Bell perfected the feature with its Taco Tuesday Drops, and several other brands have since added their own version, offering everything from merch to free food.

Financing

The casual-dining comeback starts at the top

Sit-down restaurant chains showed signs of life last year. But much of the growth came from just a few brands, primarily Chili’s.

Food

El Pollo Loco accelerates innovation to fill menu gaps

Behind the Menu: Chef Rene Pisciotti has kept R&D constantly in motion at the chicken chain to build a strong pipeline. First order of business: A signature chicken tender.

Trending

More from our partners