It's summertime. Warm nights, bar-b-ques, picnics, and casual get togethers fill up the calendar. Dazzle your friends, family and restaurant associates with your knowledge of food.
- Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
- There are more chickens than people in the world.
- Two-thirds of the world's eggplants are grown in New Jersey.
- Almonds are a member of the peach family.
- Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning
- American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first class.
- The world's number one producer and consumer of fresh pork is China.
- 13 people a year are killed by vending machines falling on them.
- Americans eat 18 acres of pizza everyday.
- Bats always turn left when exiting a cave. (is that a food fact?)
- Your brain is 80% water.
- Dry mustard will remove onion odors from your hands or cutting board
- To eliminate the "canned" taste of canned shrimp, try soaking them for 10 - 15 minutes in a mixture of 2T vinegar and 1T of sherry
- Tomato juice will remove ink spots from clothing
- Soft drinks account for 1/4 of all the sugar consumed by Americans
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a Restaurant Business member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.